Regular Board Meeting Highlights - October 2, 2018
October 2, 2018 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, October 2, 2018. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board held its annual Organizational Meeting in addition to the regular Board Meeting. Trustee Eric Cameron was elected Board Chair by acclamation. Lorraine Stewart was elected Vice Chair.
"I feel very honored to be elected as Board Chair for the 2018-2019 school year for Parkland School Division." stated Board Chair Cameron."We have a very dedicated and hardworking Board of Trustees. Our Board is student focused, but we also recognize that PSD staff need all the encouragement and supports we can muster in order to continue to do the great things ours schools do on a regular basis. We all have different roles to play but, in the end, student success and well-being is the ultimate goal we all strive for. "
"I am honored to serve as Vice Chair on the Board of Trustees for PSD." stated Trustee Stewart.
"It is my privilege to continue working with my fellow governors on the Board who are committed to making informed decisions in the best interests of children, youth and families, helping us achieve our ultimate division goal of student success and well-being."
- The following committee positions were also chosen:
- Education Committee Chairperson (Lorraine Stewart)
- Student Advisory Committee Chairperson (Anne Montgomery)
- Benefit Plan Advisory Committee (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Teacher/Board Advisory Committee (Ron Heinrichs, Anne Montgomery, Lorraine Stewart)
- Audit Committee (Darlene Clarke,Ron Heinrichs, Anne Montgomery)
- Advocacy Committee (Committee of the Whole)
- Alberta School Boards Association, Zone II (Darlene Clarke, 2 positions rotated between trustees)
- Public School Boards' Association (Ron Heinrichs, 2 positions rotated between trustees)
- Stony Plain Joint-Use Committee (Paul McCann)
- Spruce Grove Joint-Use Committee (Anne Montgomery)
- Alberta Teachers' Association Labour Relations (Eric Cameron, Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Central Alberta Assocation of Municipal and School Employees Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson, Paul McCann)
- International Union of Operating Engineers Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Ron Heinrichs, Paul McCann)
- Council of School Councils (Anne Montgomery, Lorraine Stewart)
- Teachers' Employer Bargaining Association Representative (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Rural Caucus of Alberta School Boards (Sally Kucher-Johnson)
The Board approved the 2018-2019 Board Communications Plan as presented by Director of Communications and Strategic Planning Jordi Weidman.
- The Board approved the Proposed Modular Replacement Plan for 2019-2020 that the Division submits to Alberta Infrastructure. This includes:
- Millgrove School - 10 new modular classrooms to replace existing units.
- Ecole Meridian Heights School - 6 new modular classrooms to replace 4 existing units and to add 2 new units.
The Board received as information the 2018-2019 Enrolment Report. Parkland School Division total enrolment as of September 30, 2018 is 11,181 students.
- Total enrolment reflects an increase of 161 students over numbers reported September 30, 2017. (+1.45%)
- West End Area Schools are down 29 students. (-4.04%)
- Town of Stony Plain and area schools are up 47 students. (+1.05%)
- City of Spruce Grove and area schools are up 127 students. (+2.98%)
- Of note: Copperhaven School is just Kindergarten to Grade 8 this year with 599 students. Grade 9 will be added the following year in order for the current Grade 9 students who are designated for Copperhaven to avoid having to enter two new schools in consecutive years.
Next Regular Board Meeting will be held on November 6, 2018 at the Centre for Education at 9:30am.